[CentOS] Centos5 installer hangs up with promise sata controller on board

Mon Apr 23 11:33:31 UTC 2007
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 07:27 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
>> Ralph Angenendt wrote:

>>> Can anyone reproduce that bug on a RHEL5 box? If it really is a
>>> kernel/init bug, it should be reported upstream.
>>>
>>> Ralph

>> Hi,
>>
>> both FC6 and RHEL5 show exactly the same behaviour, that means the installer hangs
>> during install on promise sata controller. I will file a bug to RedHat and Fedora.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Joachim Backes
>
> Please point to the CentOS bug too in the upstream bug entry (if you
> need to add one) .. as I get tired of seeing posts describing how CentOS
> Developers / Users are parasites who take from Red Hat and give nothing
> back.
>
> If we discover and document a problem on CentOS, and it is later
> determined to be an upstream issue that they do not currently have in
> bugzilla then a link to the CentOS bugs site helps document that CentOS
> is a good Open Source player ... and not a bunch of leeches.
>
> We already know this, of course :D ... it seems some other people could
> stand to figure it out though.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

Hi,

I found out (in the Fedore archives ;-) that the boot option "nodmraid"  (for the install kernel)
would be helpful. I checked it, and this really helps: the installation is totally performed - no
hangup, and afterwards the system runs with centOS 5.

Regards

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],