[CentOS] CentOS 5 x86: Missing features

Mon Apr 23 22:44:23 UTC 2007
John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 00:02 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>
>> 2) There isn't a "Run" option in the GNOME menus for running programs.

When Gnome and KDE were new, I used to think I would prefer Gnome for
the long term, but back then used KDE because it was more stable.

More recently, I've avoided Gnome because it's constantly being dumbed
down, removing useful features.

> You can add it to a panel by right clicking the panel and selecting "Add
> to Panel".  In the Add to Panel window, select "Run Application", and
> click the Add button.
>
> Perhaps not as nice as having it integrated into the Gnome menu, but
> just as useful.

For me, it's not an option I would willingly countenance, I personally
install & use too many Linux computers to feel inclined to go messing
around getting them all just right. I start with what's closest.

A "run application" option's been in Windows since 3.1 or so that I
recall; in Windows XP, _I_ the administrator get to choose whether it's
available to our users, it's not Gates the Vendor who chooses.  That's a
better way to do it.

--

Cheers
John