[CentOS] Device name for a USB disk

Tue Apr 24 11:00:42 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-21 at 08:12 -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
> I see a sda and a sda1.  Should I use the sda1?
>
> Todd

You can't rsync to devices ... you have to mount it first

It may already be mounted ... look in /media/

If it is not mounted there then create a directory and mount it ...

mkdir /media/some_name
mount /dev/sda1 /media/some_name

(it is likely mounted when plugged in c4 or c5 though)

> joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de wrote:
> > Todd Cary wrote:
> >> What is the device name for a USB drive?  I want to rsync some files
> >> to it and I have completely forgotten the device name!
> >>
> >> /usr/bin/rsync -av --exclude=".*" -e ssh /home/ /dev/???????/
> >
> > Because these are managed as SCSI drives, the names are
> > /dev/sda[1...], /dev/sdb[1...],...
> >>
> >> Many thanks....
> >>
> >> Todd

Bottom posting is easier to follow :P