[CentOS] Strange content in the kernel dmesg traces [SOLVED]

Wed Apr 25 19:19:30 UTC 2007
Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On 4/25/07, Michael D. Kralka <michael.kralka at kvs.com> wrote:

> I am going to regret answering this, because it is not the right place
> for such questions. However...

True, but thank you for the post.

> I suspect you are misusing printk and the KERN_XXX prefixes (KERN_DEBUG,
> KERN_ERR, KERN_INFO, etc.) defined in include/linux/kernel.h. Try
> dropping the comma between the prefix and the message. That is:
>         printk(KERN_INFO "Hello World!\n");
> rather than:
>         printk(KERN_INFO, "Hello World!\n");

I would hate to admit that a typo was "misusing" something, but this
was the problem - one of the 35 traces I have in place was mistyped
with a comma after the KERN_DEBUG.  I think staring at them allowed me
to miss this the first four or five times through, and, of course, it
was the last one I added - the one that was not supposed to appear at
all.

--
Mark Hull-Richter, Linux Kernel Engineer
DATAllegro (www.datallegro.com)