[CentOS] [CentOS 5] - SAMBA+LDAP

Thu Apr 26 17:16:50 UTC 2007
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Gabriel Stein wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I´m have some problems deploying OPENLDAP+SAMBA+PAM+NSSWITCH. When I
> restart the server with those services, the DBUS service crash. And
> when I try disable DBUS service on system start Avahi crashs too.
>
> Someone here have this problem? There´s a BUG on CentOS 5? Maybe PAM
> not talking with LDAP on startup?

If the LDAP server isn't available at boot time, some init scripts
(dbus, etc.) will hang. I ran into this when putting a CentOS 5
machine on our DMZ without first allowing packets from that machine to
reach the LDAP server. I couldn't figure out what was amiss until I
scanned the firewall logs. Oops. :-/