[CentOS] FreeNX authenticates but no desktop on centos 5 ??

Fri Apr 27 01:10:40 UTC 2007
Jeremy Gray <jrgray at gmail.com>

Hi all,

thanks for the many thoughtful replies, especially Trevor Benson for the
detailed list of suggestions. I've everything suggested but still get
authentication that times out before a gnome session comes up. I tried
scraping things out on the server side, reinstalling, rebooting, make a
completely new test user account, restarting the X on the client side. I try
to connect to the new account, and still get authenticated but no gnome for
centos 5. from the same nxclient I can connect to a centos 4.4 box, and vnc
connects fine to centos 5 and gives me a gnome desktop. looks to me like it
might be a quirk of the new mac client interacting with the centos 5
nxserver (but not 4.4), based on other folks connecting just fine to centos
5.

there was a note about "known issues" on the wiki, so I also installed the
NX client for linux and installing on the server:
rpm -i nxclient-2.1.0-17.i386.rpm
this gives me new stuff in /usr/NX which I also copied to the freenx style
directory for good measure and restarted things
cp /usr/NX/bin/nxclient /etc/nxserver/
nxserver --restart

I tried connecting from client, authenticates but no gnome.

the nxclient I am using (mac OS X) I downloaded within the last week, the
nomachine site says its release 2.1.0-17. and using this same installation
of nxclient on my mac I get a gnome session when connecting to a centos 4.4box

in case its useful to have more of a play-by-play in the archives, here what
I tried:

#on centos 5 server machine, I removed, reinstalled, rebooted:
su
yum remove nx freenx
# the remove succeeds, I do the following for good measure
rm -Rf /etc/nxserver
rm -Rf ~<me>/.nx
reboot

# server comes up
su
yum update
yum install nx freenx
# output looks good, includes:
# Stopping sshd: [  OK  ]
# Starting sshd: [  OK  ]
# Installed: freenx.i386 0:0.5.0-13.el5.centos nx.i386 0:2.1.0-6.el5.centos
# Complete!

nxserver --adduser me
nxserver --passwd me
# manually copy /etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key --> client nxviewer
reboot

# server comes up
nmap -p 1-65535 localhost
# the only open port is
# 22/tcp open  ssh
# and I have ssh forwarding enabled, even though it should not make a
difference

nxserver --status
# NX> 100 NXSERVER - Version 1.5.0-60-SVN OS (GPL)
# NX> 110 NX Server is running
# NX> 999 Bye

# so at this point I try to connect from the client, I get authenticated and
then nothing more, times out after a minute
# now I add a new user account to the system, testuser, a completely new
account, and add this account to the nx users
nxserver --useradd testuser

# from the client, I try connecting to account testuser, get authenticated,
no gnome desktop (or anything else),
# and the connection times out. the error in the client "details" window is
NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 1732
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
NX> 200 Connected to address: ***edited*** on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.5.0-60-SVN OS (GPL)
NX> 105 hello NXCLIENT - Version 1.5.0
NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 1.5.0
NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
NX> 105 login
NX> 101 User: testuser
NX> 102 Password:
NX> 103 Welcome to: ***edited*** user: testuser
NX> 105 listsession --user="testuser" --status="suspended,running"
--geometry="1280x854x32+render" --type="unix-gnome"
NX> 127 Sessions list of user 'testuser' for reconnect:

Display Type             Session ID                       Options  Depth
Screen         Status      Session Name

NX> 148 Server capacity: not reached for user: testuser
NX> 105 startsession  --link="isdn" --backingstore="1" --nodelay="1"
--encryption="1" --cache="8M" --images="32M" --media="0"
--session="***edited***" --type="unix-gnome" --geometry="1024x768+128+30"
--kbtype="query" --screeninfo="1024x768x32+render"

Killed by signal 15.