[CentOS] network config files in centos 5 changing

Fri Apr 27 13:06:32 UTC 2007
Ronald Warsow <rwarsow at online.de>

Jerry Geis wrote:
>> i believe i had mentioned this already on this list:
>
>> have had same problems with my asus m2npv-vm board  (onboard
>> forcedepth nic) the first days with the board under fedora 6 - would
>> say no big diff's to centos-
>
>> the fedora way goes:
>
>> 1. move or delete /etc/sysconfig/hwconf
>> 2. move or delete /etc/modprobe.conf
>> 3. run kudzu afterwards => this writes new hwconf, modprobe.conf
>> 4. bring your nic's down: ifdown ethx
>> 5. remove the driver via modprobe -rv <your-nic-driver> (forcedepth)
>> 5a. maybe to be sure: lsmod|grep -i <your-nic-driver>
>> 6. reload the driver via modprobe -sv ...
>> 7. fix your mac-addr-settings via system-config-network
>> 8. compare your mac's in hwconf _and_ via ifconfig
>
>> steps 4-6 are also performed via reboot (grrrrrrrrrr: m$ world tasks),
>> but your are able to exclude if this files were changed again after
>> step 3. (ls -l /etc/sysconfig/hwconf => date/time !)
>> a hint of another problem !
>
>> if there are still diff's, then it's another problem i don't know a
>> solution for, yet, but i remember ethx order changes and therefore mac
>> mismatches at late fedora 5/early fedora 6 kernels.
>
>> try and report !
>> okay ?
>
>> --
>>      ronald
>

> Ronald,
>
> Thanks for the above. However, sadly it did not work.
> Also I see no way in the system-config-network to set a MAC address.
> I was in the character mode here not X.

vi /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-ethx
HWADDR=....
same as ifconfig reports ?

this files are hardlinked and i currently don't know what could break if
you write them - had it down often, without trouble -