[CentOS] FreeNX authenticates but no desktop on centos 5 ??

Fri Apr 27 17:33:25 UTC 2007
Jeremy Gray <jrgray at gmail.com>

thanks for the continuing ideas! but alas, still no desktop. details below.
thanks for your patience with the long thread and my little mystery....

> > Then, here's another silly question.  When you copied the key, did you
> > copy the whole thing including the === BEGIN === and === END=== lines?
> >

> I think an error in the key would cause an authentication error instead
> of what he is seeing (but you might break it deliberately to be sure).

I had not copied the ===BEGIN=== and end lines, but I had also not copied
them from the client key on the CentOS 4.4 box (which worked anyway), and
authentication worked on centos 5

but nonetheless I just tried copy-pasting those lines too (== the whole file
contents) from CentOS 5 into the mac client, and get the exact same (lack
of) behavior.

and just for completeness, I copied the client dsa key file from the server
(using sftp rather than copy paste from a terminal window into the nxclient
key window) and then used the import button in the nxclient key window. same
thing, authenticates but no hint of a desktop

there is a well known (and mildly annoying) end-of-line character difference
between mac and unix, which could potentially come into play.  but its a
trivial conversion (s /\r/\n/g), and the awesome folks at nomachine have got
to know all about it when building an nxclient for mac. and if there was
something amiss here, the same copy-paste from CentOS 4.4 would give me the
same issue

and yes, deliberately breaking it works just fine :-) , meaning no
authentication. I deleted the final '=' from the DSA key (from the key part,
not the ===END===, which for me is more like -----END-----) and tried
connecting, and it would not authenticate, saying the DSA key was corrupt or
had had a passphrase attached to it. when I paste that back in, I get
authenticated but no desktop. I also tried deleting a '-' from the
----END---- line, and it fails to authenticate

Is gnome starting normally at the console or could there be some problem
> at that level?

yes, at the console its doing lots of lovely gnome-like things, and fires up
over vnc

I've forgotten if you need to be in runlevel 5 for
> freenx like you do for remote xdm logins, but that's another possibility.

nice idea, but I've been at run level 5 all along. and just verified this
with "who -r" (I don't know enough to mess with other run levels). and Akemi
says run level 3 is fine