[CentOS] FreeNX authenticates but no desktop on centos 5 ??

Fri Apr 27 18:35:54 UTC 2007
Jeremy Gray <jrgray at gmail.com>

keep 'em coming!

> > yes, at the console its doing lots of lovely gnome-like things, and
> > fires up over vnc
>
> OK, the next obvious thing is the user logging in.  Did you log in as
> the same user on the console for the gnome test?

yes, I've been using the same user account at both the console and the
nxclient. and I also made a new  testuser account (completely new) on the
server, no difference: authentication but no desktop.

Also, in the NX
> client's advanced configuration section, did you check the 'enable ssl
> encryption of all traffic' box.  That might or might not be needed,
> depending on firewalling.

yes indeed, ssl encryption of all traffic is enabled. and --encryption="1"
shows  up in the "details" window on the client error message section for
the "startsession  ..." call

there's no proxy that I'm going through for either box (CentOS 5, 4.4). the
two firewalls do differ a little. the centos 4.4 one has these two lines in
iptables -L output
ACCEPT     ipv6-crypt--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     ipv6-auth--  anywhere             anywhere

whereas 5 does not but instead has
ACCEPT     esp  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

and the centos 5 also has the line (which 4.4 does not)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ipp