[CentOS] Isa Soundcard under CentOS 5

Sat Apr 28 11:01:18 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 13:30 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Olaf Mueller wrote:
> > Jim Perrin wrote:
> >
> >> Upstream has removed nearly all support for ISA devices in the
> >> kernel. It was added back into the centosplus kernel for centos4, I'm
> >> not sure if it was/will be added to the centosplus kernel for c5.
> > What a pity. I have installed CentOS on my server and it works very
> > well. So I would like to have it also installed on my notebook with a
> > isa soundcard. Maybe I should give kubuntu a try. But I would prefer
> > the long term support CentOS gives.
>

> Perhaps you may add the ISA support to the kernel yourself, and
> recompile it? Someone may provide more info on this.

The problem with ISA support is it causes problems/conflicts with other
things on some hardware, which is why it is disabled upstream.

We might be able to build some of these things as stand alone kmod
modules.

One can certainly build the modules individually (which is a PITA) ...
but someone might develop a way to build kmod modules for some modules
included in the kernel (but built outside the kernel tree) using
kernel-devel.

We have that kind of system currently for the XFS filesystem ... and
someone might be able to use the example of the XFS kmod SRPM (and the
"Out Of Tree" patch) to be able to do this sort of thing outside the
main kernel SRPM.

I don't have time to do that right now, as I need to get several Extras
RPMS (drbd, heartbeat, horde, xfce) ported and working on CentOS-5 this
weekend.

One should be able to use this guide to build a standalone module
though:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes