[CentOS] recording sound: how 2 control recording level?

Sat Apr 28 12:40:56 UTC 2007
Tim Wunder <tim at thewunders.org>

On Saturday 28 April 2007 6:58:47 am fredex wrote:
> Hi gang!
>
> I'm trying to record (to .wav files) sound coming in on the line input
> of my sound card (in this case, output of a tape deck).
>
> For LISTENING purposes, I can control the level with the Gnome Mixer.
>
> However, the RECORDING level is not affected by the mixer. As a result,
> the recorded audio is badly clipped and horribly distorted.
>
> I don't understand enough about how this stuff works to have a clue
> how to troubleshoot this problem.
>
> Can someone offer helpful advice?

Dunno about the gnome mixer, but kmix has input and output settings. What are
you using to make the recording? Audacity seems to have a slider for input
volume.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, my stereo is not connected to my computer at
the moment. :(

Tim