[CentOS] recording sound: how 2 control recording level?

Sat Apr 28 19:46:04 UTC 2007
fredex <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 09:02:38PM +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> >fredex wrote:
> >>
> >>I'm wondering if I should change my desktop to KDE and try with its sound
> >>tools. I suppose it couldn't harm anything to try.
> >

> >You can use KDE if you want, of course system-wide settings and
> >user-wide settings apply in both. You can also run under GNOME, or even
> >add to the GNOME menus the KDE applications that you like. Also CentOS 5
> > is far superior to CentOS 4, regarding user apps and tools, so perhaps
> >you may want to give CentOS 5.0 a try, it is very good and *faster*!
> >

> >What's your sound card BTW? Perhaps you may have some driver problem?
>

> Just saw that you mentioned "am using the built-in (AC-97) audio hardware".
>
> In any case, perhaps you want to try CentOS 5.0, it is far superior in
> everything!

Yes, I DO want to try it. But it will take me some time to prepare for
the conversion. I want to do a clean install, so planning is required
to be able to move over all my crap, mail server settings, etc., etc.

Also thinking of buying a matched pair of SATA drives (newegg has some
nice prices on 160 gig WD and Seagate SATA drives) and using Linux's
raid capability to do a mirrored pair, when I do go to Centos 5. But
that's not going to happen in the immediate future.