[CentOS] Slow performance

Mon Apr 30 20:51:46 UTC 2007
Scott Lamb <slamb at slamb.org>

On Apr 30, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>    The dual Xeon processors come up as 2 physical and 8 logical.

I think your 9% CPU usage is misleading. It probably means you're
using one out of eight processors for 72% of your eight minutes. Add
in the iowait time (which should be similar to the time the copy took
- 11% of your eight minutes) and you're not far off from explaining
the whole time.

In top on Linux, you can hit 'I' to make the CPU percentages go up to
800% instead of 100%. Or '1' to show each processor individually.

You can make it go much faster by running more than one convert at a
time. Each convert task is fully independent, so if this were 100%
CPU usage, you could go almost eight times faster.

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>