[CentOS] Samba PDC

Thu Apr 12 07:44:06 UTC 2007
Tronn Wærdahl <tronnw at gmail.com>

On 4/11/07, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Tronn Wærdahl wrote:

> im
> >> able
> >> messages
> >> password
> >> as
> >>
> >> I'm surprised it seems to work as well as you seem to think it does.
> The
> >> best I would expect to work is an NT-style PDC; if you want AD
> >> functionality then best you shell out the shekels for Windows 2003
> >> server and do the training.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> John
> >>
> >> -- spambait
> >> 1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu  Z1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu
> >>
> >> Please do not reply off-list
> >>

> > Im not sure how I should interper your answer, get windows training
> > ???  :-) Basicly im look for somewhere I could store some files, and
> with
> > the samba PDC I allso go the opertunity to run centralized logon
> > scripts. Is
> > there a differense in the way XP and W2k joins a domain
>
> There is a considerable difference between a domain as it was for OS/2,
> win9x/me and Windows NT and the position now.
>
> Then, for example, one could have a PDC and one (or more I think)
> secondary and/or backup domain contoller. Now, one can have hierachy of
> domains spanning the world. Then, domains didn't scale. Now, they scale
> quite well, and one can even have a local domain controller for, say,
> London when the gloabl catalog (held by the principal DC) is in, oh, New
> York.
>
> Now, bear in mind that in the first instance you didn't actually give
> out much info about what you are trying to achieve or why, what you have
> tried or what your specific errrors are.
>
> Probably, you need to enabile WINS server in Samba, specify
> domain logons = yes
> logon script = logon.cmd
> maybe these:
>     logon drive = H:
>     logon home = \\%N\%U
>
> and read closely what you need to do to make XP and 2000 talk to NT
> domain controllers. Your prospects of emulating a Windows 200{0,3}
> domain controller are fairly remote.
>

> --
>
> Cheers
> John
>
> -- spambait
> 1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu  Z1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu
>
> Please do not reply off-list

Hi

I kind of trying to make a appliance, the main application is a
groupware(open-xchange), it authenticates against a ldapserver, then I
integrated a jabber server (wildfire) allso authenticates agains ldap. Then
I know that you could get samba to authenticate against ldap, so then I
thought I give that a go.

If i just makes some shares and give users access everything works as
expected seen from the Windows client side, I'been struggeling for a long
time to make a windows w2k pro to join the samba domain, then I just thought
I would try to make a XP client join the domain, and I was so supprised when
it get joined.  I think what made the trick was configure bind to know about
the samba PDC, then I really dont understand why I cant join a W2k client to
the domain. I've googled around for hours tried all kind of configuration in
samba. Still no luck. I tried enabling wins on samba, and the w2k client
can  access samba with the netbios name. The reason i want to get that
working is coz of centralized policys and logon scripts. And of course it
need to be stable :-)

Tronn