[CentOS] Re: Mixing RPMforge and EPEL (Was: EPEL repo)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Aug 2 07:12:36 UTC 2007

--On Wednesday, August 01, 2007 4:40 PM -0700 Timothy Selivanow
<timothys at easystreet.com> wrote:

> There is a way.  Make a custom RPM, or even an advanced script (ala
> gentoo ebuild system).  That isn't the problem, it's the name space.
> There is no guarantee that what ever you choose it going to be unique
> and therefore not over-written by someone else.  How do you think Red
> Hat does the dual arch libs in x86_64?  That was dictated though, and
> everyone follows it.

What ever happened to putting all non-distro stuff in
/opt/vendor/application? And referring to any binaries in there by abolute
path, instead of depending on dumping all binaries in /usr/bin. At least
for stuff not invoked by hand from a console, that should be workable.
System services and stuff invoked from icons could and probably should use
absolute paths.

(I'm not proposing this. I'm asking why it's not the norm.)

We would then have /opt/RPMforge and /opt/EPEL and all their respective
packages would drop into separate trees.