[CentOS] about add/remove software

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Aug 2 13:00:31 UTC 2007

beast wrote:
> In the documentation, it says that add/remove software is use only to
> install
> from CD drive[1]. However this program refuse to run when no internet
> connection, why not just prompt for the installation media? assuming
> everybody has fast internet connection was too optimistic.

It isn't an assumption that everyone has one ... but that is what 99.9%
of our users use.

The answer to using add/remove programs might be to disable all repos if
that machine is never going to touch the internet ... then that might
work OK with the DVD only. (If in CentOS5)

Also, if you have ever upgraded any package at all since install, then
the information on the DVD is no good for you ... as it is designed at a
point in time to be inclusive.  If you have upgraded anything, then the
dependencies you have may not be the same as when the DVD is released.
Installing from the DVD can cause problems because of this.

You remember the Microsoft warning that if you use your CD to install a
program, you need to reinstall your service pack X and redo all your
updates?   Same problem, except CentOS won't allow you to install an
older package without some --force switches.

> 1. So what is the correct way to install/remove software after the
> installation (using GUI)?
>
> 2. In /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Media.repo the sample command was
> incorect, it
> should be  --enablerepo=c5-media.
> But anyway, it still did not works here, centos cd was mounted under
> /media/CentOS_5.0_Final, after manually changed (is there any shortcut, ie
> using old good /dev/cdrom ?) :

NO ... upstream, in there infinite wisdom, decided that something that
is named the exact same thing every time is a "Bad Thing(TM)".  So now,
all new mounts are like that ... /mnt/$CDNAME.

It is quite a PITA to script for.  It does look pretty on the desktop.
An absolutely stupid idea (IMHO).

> [root at localhost yum.repos.d]# yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=c5-media
> install tftp
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Parsing package install arguments
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Downloading header for tftp to pack into transaction set.
> media://1176235114.525559%235/CentOS/tftp-0.42-3.1.el5.centos.i386.rpm:
> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error unknown url type: media>
> Trying other mirror.
> Error: failed to retrieve CentOS/tftp-0.42-3.1.el5.centos.i386.rpm from
> c5-media
> error was [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error unknown url type: media>

This kind of thing is very much harder and complicated by the fact that
the anaconda installer now uses the yum libraries to do the initial
install from the CDs and DVDs.  To be honest, I don't know what the
answer is, other than to copy the RPMS off the DVD and create new
metadata locally with createrepo.

> Also i feel that yum is to slow even when running from cache, ymmv.

I didn't write it :D

> 3. What is the program/service responsible to automatically display
> media in
> desktop when mounted?

That depends ... gnome-mount and autofs both play a roll.