[CentOS] Re: Mixing RPMforge and EPEL (Was: EPEL repo)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 18:26:39 UTC 2007

Timothy Selivanow wrote:

>> The LFHS is the problem here, although putting applications where you
>> want them in the filesystem would make Linux as hard to use as the Mac.
>> Oh wait...
>
> That compromises one of GNU/Linux's biggest strengths, that of shared
> libraries.  So instead of just upgrading OpenSSL, I now have to upgrade
> the following that is on one of my servers:

Unixes have had mechanisms to handle multiple shared library versions
probably for as long as shared libraries have existed.  Are you sure you
want _any_ enabled repository to be able to replace your stock ssl libs,
though?  So far the discussion has assumed that everyone involved is
operating in good faith and all problems are just accidental, but what
if...?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com