[CentOS] Re: Can't print PDFs or PSs in CentOS 5.0

Mark Hull-Richter mhullrich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 21:43:43 UTC 2007

On 8/2/07, Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com> wrote:

> By the looks of it it appears to be a problem with printing postscript.
>
> Is the ghostscript package and it's fonts properly installed?

Here's what I show (that I know to looks for, although I presume that
if this shows, other dependencies must have been resolved since I use
yum for virtually all installations):

$ rpm -qa | grep ghost
ghostscript-8.15.2-9.1.el5.x86_64
ghostscript-fonts-5.50-13.1.1.noarch
ghostscript-8.15.2-9.1.el5.i386

> If you enscript a text file and print it does it come out ok?

Not quite sure how to do this, but here's what I did:

Used gedit to create a pdf of a text file, then AR to print it - fine.
Used AR to create a ps file from the pdf, then printed it - fine.
Used gedit to print to the generic postscript printer (lpr) and - came out fine.

Text is not a problem, just something about these graphic pdfs (and
any graphics file from the GIMP).  Note that the image viewer prints
jpeg graphics just fine, too.

Thanks again.

mhr