[CentOS] Re: Can't print PDFs or PSs in CentOS 5.0

Mark Hull-Richter mhullrich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 22:02:28 UTC 2007

On 8/2/07, Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com> wrote:

> Ok, so it's not a general postscript failure, but maybe just EPS...

EPS?

> If the printer needs a hard-reset to recover then it is probably
> because the printer isn't fully PCL compatible as it advertises,
> can you try using an HP Deskjet engine which does PCL 3?

It usually takes two or three power cycles to get the printer to quit
being stupid about it (so to speak).  I also have to cancel the print
job (of course).

I'm not sure how to do what you suggest here.  In AR on the 'print'
window, there are a few options I've tried differently.  The default
is optimize for speed and use level 2 (I'm guessing that's PCL level
2).  I've tried setting it to 'save printer memory' and 'use level 3',
neither of which works.

What usually happens is that the green light on the printer flashes
for a few seconds, indicating that it is processing the file, then the
red light goes on steady (I don't know how to retrieve the printer
status on Linux, and it only worked sporadically on Windows when I
used that, but I never saw this particular problem there...).

I've only been able to find a paucity of information about this (or
any) printer under Linux/CentOS - I've used lpstat, the (gnome)
printer administration tool, and occasionally the CUPS interface -
what am I looking for so that I can tell what/how to change it?

Thanks.

mhr