[CentOS] CentOS 4 vs 5 for VMware?

Timothy Selivanow timothys at easystreet.com
Fri Aug 3 17:57:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 10:27 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 10:24:44AM -0700, Rogelio Bastardo wrote:
> > For stability reasons, I'm running CentOS 4 for VMware (it's the devil I know).
> >
> > Are there any compelling reasons to upgrade to CentOS 5 for it?  I'm
> > relatively new to the whole virtualisation scene and perhaps there are
> > some updated packages that might be good for VMware?
>
> Seems to run fine on CentOS 5 as well.
>
> CentOS 5 kernel lets you exclude some processes from consideration for
> "death" by the OOM killer which is kinda nice. :)
>
> Of course there are plenty of other settings in the 4 kernel that help
> keep VMware safe from being accidentally killed.
>
> Ray

I've run GSX on both 4 and 5, nothing really of note to say other than
that VMWare does not yet "support" GSX on RHEL5 as of version 1.0.3.
Really that only means that there aren't pre-compiled versions of the
kernel modules and you will need to re-run vmware-config.pl each time
the kernel is updated

Also, there is a special kernel that helps out on running VMWare that
changes the default speed of the system timer, reducing the LA on the
host system especially if your guests are mostly idle.  The kernel is
available for both 4 and 5.  Please look at
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2189 for more info.

--
Timothy Selivanow <timothys at easystreet.com>
Linux System Administrator