[CentOS] Power burn test

Fri Aug 3 20:41:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 15:01 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> I need a program that will just run everything at max so I can measure
> the max power used on some systems.  My 'Kill a Watt' meter should show
> up early next week.
>
> SO run that CPU at max, using all memory, and keeping the harddrive
> spinning.
>
> I can jsut do pings on the lan card for it to stay awake.
>
> I have searched here and on the net and have come back with nothing.

Sorry for the HTML format - looked really bad in text mode in Evolution.

Selected returns from "yum search stress" with some 3rd party repos
enabled:

stress.i386                              0.18.8-1.2.el5.rf      rpmforge
Matched from:
stress
tool to impose stress on a POSIX-compliant operating system
Stress is a tool which imposes a configurable amount of CPU, memory,
I/O,
or disk stress on a POSIX-compliant operating system. Stress is written
in highly-portable ANSI C, and uses the GNU Autotools to compile on a
great number of UNIX-like operating systems.

Stress is not a benchmark, it is rather a tool which puts the system
under
a repeatable, defined amount of load so that a systems programmer or
system
administrator can analyze the performance characteristics of the system
or
specific components thereof.
http://weather.ou.edu/~apw/projects/stress/

spew.i386                                1.0.4-1.2.el5.rf       rpmforge
Matched from:
Spew is used to measure I/O performance of character devices, block
devices,
and regular files. It can also be used to generate high I/O loads to
stress
systems while verifying data integrity.

Spew is easy to use and is flexible. No configuration files or
complicated
client/server configurations are needed. Spew also generates its own
data
patterns that are designed to make it easy to find and debug data
integrity
problems.

cpuburn.i586                             1.4-1.2.el5.rf         rpmforge
Matched from:
cpuburn is a suite of assembly-coded routines designed to put maximum
heat stress on the CPU and motherboard components by a
P6/P5/K6/K7-optimized mix of FPU and ALU instructions. There are also
routines to test RAM controllers (burnMMX/BX). Please note that this
program is designed to heavily load chips. Undercooled, overclocked,
or otherwise weak systems may fail, causing data loss (filesystem
corruption) and possibly permanent damage to electronic components.
Use it at your own risk!!

cpuburn.i686                             1.4-1.2.el5.rf         rpmforge
Matched from:
cpuburn is a suite of assembly-coded routines designed to put maximum
heat stress on the CPU and motherboard components by a
P6/P5/K6/K7-optimized mix of FPU and ALU instructions. There are also
routines to test RAM controllers (burnMMX/BX). Please note that this
program is designed to heavily load chips. Undercooled, overclocked,
or otherwise weak systems may fail, causing data loss (filesystem
corruption) and possibly permanent damage to electronic components.
Use it at your own risk!!

cpuburn.athlon                           1.4-1.2.el5.rf         rpmforge
Matched from:
cpuburn is a suite of assembly-coded routines designed to put maximum
heat stress on the CPU and motherboard components by a
P6/P5/K6/K7-optimized mix of FPU and ALU instructions. There are also
routines to test RAM controllers (burnMMX/BX). Please note that this
program is designed to heavily load chips. Undercooled, overclocked,
or otherwise weak systems may fail, causing data loss (filesystem
corruption) and possibly permanent damage to electronic components.
Use it at your own risk!!

fio.i386                                 1.16.5-1.el5.rf        rpmforge
Matched from:
I/O benchmark and stress/hardware verification tool
fio is an I/O tool meant to be used both for benchmark and
stress/hardware
verification. It has support for 6 different types of I/O engines (sync,
mmap, libaio, posixaio, SG v3, splice), I/O priorities (for newer Linux
kernels), rate I/O, forked or threaded jobs, and much more.

It can work on block devices as well as files. fio accepts job
descriptions
in a simple-to-understand text format. Several example job files are
included.
fio displays all sorts of I/O performance information, such as
completion and
submission latencies (avg/mean/deviation), bandwidth stats, CPU, and
disk
utilization, and more. It supports Linux, FreeBSD, and OpenSolaris.

Phil