[CentOS] Intel P35 / quad-core support for HPC applications

Henry Shiu

hjs-hpc at flight.ucdavis.edu
Fri Aug 3 21:51:17 UTC 2007

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with CentOS and the Intel P35 or G33
chipset?  I've googled about and poked in the CentOS forums, but I've
generally found questions without responses.

I'm part of a university research group doing CFD (computational fluid
dynamics).  We're incrementally updating our computing power and have
been looking at Intel quad-cores and the P35 or G33 chipset.  We're
particularly interested in motherboards with DDR2-1066 support.  As
we're in a production environment, we're more interested in reliability
than squeezing out that last fraction of a percent of performance (I'm
aware of the inherent contradiction in stating this as we're extending a
bit on to the leading edge with this hardware selection).

We've patched and rolled custom kernels in the past, but would just as
soon not again.  Hence, I'd be grateful if you're willing to share your
specific experiences with CentOS and P35 or G33 motherboards.  I'll
compile the responses I get and post them in a consolidated message.

Secondarily, I'd like to connect with anyone else doing similar work
and/or in similar environments.  Currently, we're running a 22-node,
diskless (I believe the favored buzzword is now "stateless") cluster of
mostly Athlon XP 2500 processors.  It's on Centos 3 with Warewulf 2.1.12.

Thanks,
Henry

--
Henry Shiu