[CentOS] CentOS vs RedHat releases

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Aug 4 14:55:15 UTC 2007

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> In comparing CentOS to RedHat releases, it seems to me CentOS is the
> Desktop/Workstation class distro from RedHat.   Does the CentOS project
> then not have a Server class distro, or am I missing something?
> Granted, most any operating system can act as a server, but there are
> some fundamental components of a server-class OS that help is stand out
> versus a workstation version.

not quite true.

the CentOS-5 distro combines all the various RHEL products into 1 distro, so you
get Server, Workstation, Client, Virtualisation Cluster, ClusterStorage all
rolled into 1 distro with options at install time as to what all features you
would like to install with. And post install the yum package manager to help
maintain, add, remove and manage packages.

- KB