[CentOS] CentOS vs RedHat releases

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Aug 5 11:40:31 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 09:59 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> >
> >><snip>

> > I have been working on installing RHEL5 64-bit Server on a machine, and
> > thought about CentOS instead, but when I realized there was only one
> > CentOS distro, figuring it was desktop-oriented, I opted out.   There
> > are some elements of RHEL5 server I need.
> >
> > Thanks again for any clarification.
>
> Then you OPTED wrong :D
>
> CentOS has only ONE repo because we are not trying to sell stripped down
> versions at reduced price.
>
> Desktop is just a reduced set of packages from server.  They charge
> Big$$$ for server, and less$$$ for workstation/Desktop.
>
> CentOS contains everything in both Server and desktop in one repo ...
> because we don't charge $$$ for anything.

And since CentOS does *not* charge, one should remember (especially in a
commercial endeavor) to convince TPTB in their company to make a
*generous* contribution to the CentOS project to help the project team
members continue their excellent work.

See http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=23
for some *suggested* guidelines.

--