[CentOS] CentOS vs RedHat packages

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Sun Aug 5 15:52:32 UTC 2007

Scott, do you remember what the system error was at boot?

It may be that config-services turned off an essential system startup
service.

I found 'chkconfig' much more reliable and easy to use on the CLI than
config-services in the GUI.

Also what method did you use to reboot your system after config-services?

> I opt to reboot, and the system then complains of python
> errors, but there
> are no more system errors.  But, when I revisit
> system-config-services, I
> immediately experience python errors.

Possible file-system corruption in and around where the python libraries
are since they were last used... Maybe due to a dirty shutdown?

> To try and potentially help resolve this problem, I recently
> updated the
> BIOS and some of the firmware.   I then performed a fresh
> install again.
> I then downloaded RH's Enterprise 5 Supplement ISO, along with Dell's
> OpenManage ISOs for Enterprise 5.   I'm hoping something
> among this back
> of changes will help solve the python configuration problem.

Did you install the latest dell drivers for your controller (Perc 5/i?),
the drivers for these controllers are updated/fixed frequently.

> If not, I may opt to see how well CentOS 5 handles things.

It will unfortunately handle them exactly the way RHEL does. As it is
RHEL...

> I'm mostly interested in the PostgreSql and Java pieces.

And a stable and reliable system to run them on I hope. ;-)

> If it comes down to it, I could always place a trouble call
> with Dell and
> RedHat and see if either of them has a helpful solution.

And the forecast calls for pain...

> Anyone on the list experience the same kind of problem, and find an
> answer?  If so, what was it?

At this point it really can be anything, I would start by getting the
latest PERC driver from Dell and installing it, uses dkms to keep it
current on updated kernels. You will need cc, binutils, kernel-devel
installed before hand for it to fully work right on the initial
install.

> The server is not connected to the Internet, and likely never
> will be -
> strictly out-of-box CDs.

Should not make a difference, except you will have a hard time getting
the latest bug-fixed and security-fixed versions of the system.

I would look into finding a way to get this puppy to get the latest
updates, either via proxy server or internal update server.

-Ross