[CentOS] Virtualisation of Netware?

G.Stamoulis at brighton.ac.uk G.Stamoulis at brighton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 7 14:26:35 UTC 2007

Nigel Kendrick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am hoping someone can kick me up the learning curve (!) on Virtualization:
>
> We have an old piece of data logging software that was written in Turbo
> Pascal 6 using a file I/O module tuned to Netware and so it expects its data
> files to be on a Netware server and will not access them locally or via an
> MS/Samba share - essentially, it uses direct NCP calls for parts of its data
> access.
>
> The logging software was replaced two years ago, but we need occasional
> access to the data for a minimum of 6 years and so I wondered whether I
> could virtualize a Netware 3.x/4.x/5.x or 6./x server under Linux (or
> Win..er..you know..).
>
> I have found some articles on Netware 6.5 virtualization but would really
> appreciate input from anyone actually doing this already - otherwise I'll
> just have to keep the existing Netware server in the computer room to be
> fired up about 3-4 times a year 'on demand'. For info, I'm running a Netware
> 6.5 1-user 'demo' licence - the original install was on Netware 3.12 until
> the server died and no-one could find the original Netware floppies!
>
> Thanks
>
> Nigel Kendrick

can your software communicate with Netware over tcp/ip or it needs ipx/spx?

I had installed a Netware 6 server on VMware WS 5 a couple of years back
in a scenario similar to yours.  If memory serves right, problems were
lack of VMware tools (no big deal) and lack of ipx/spx (this may be
critical to you).

Yiorgos