[CentOS] Yum install preferred arch only

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Tue Aug 7 18:32:38 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> Unless you are planning to run only stripped-down systems, that can
> cause trouble. A lot of packages do not have 64-bit versions

Quite a big leap from this (lots of packages, cause trouble, ..)

> and need
> (lots of) 32-bit support packages and libraries to run.  E.g., web
> browsers (whose 64-bit versions run just fine until you need a plug-in
> that's only available in 32-bit versions).

...to this (problem when you need a 3rd party browser plugin that's not
available in 64-bit).

I run many machines just fine with very few ix86 packages (glibc as the op
also mentioned can be nice to have around..). IMHO having lots of 32-bit
packages causes more problems than it's worth (as a default).

/Peter