[CentOS] startup config scripts for CentOS

Rogelio Bastardo

scubacuda at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 22:02:22 UTC 2007

On CentOS-based VM appliance I'm building, I would like to create a script
that runs upon login that asks the user a series of questions that does
(among other things) ask them to input their networking information (IP,
mask, gate, DNS, etc).

I'm hoping you guys might point me in the right direction. Here are some of
the specific things I'm looking to accomplish with such a script.

(1) Where might I look to for creating these types of scripts (e.g. I'm
assuming Bash is the way to go here?)
(2) Are there any templates out there that I might use as a starting place?
(3) Once I write something, where/how do I call it in /etc/rc.d/
(4) And once it starts, what is the best way to make sure that it doesn't
run again upon the second (and subsequent) reboots?

Ideally, someone could show me a model of something like this that's already
done, and I could just mod that.  Otherwise, I'll grind through something
manually, if I so have to....