[CentOS] Adaptec 39320A woes

David Groep davidg at nikhef.nl
Wed Aug 8 10:41:13 UTC 2007

Michael St. Laurent wrote:
>>I did the same (changed the speed in the BIOS settings) and it's
>>working.  I tried it at 80 but I think I'm going to bump it to 160 and
>>see if it works.
>

> The 160 speed works as well for me.  It seems that only the 320 speed
> causes a problem.  Which is interesting because Dell says that the drive
> should be able to operate at 320 as well.

I remember that the aic79xx driver has a known problem with timing at
U320, but I'm no longer able to find the reference on the web (but that
just a limitation in me finding the proper keywords to search for).
This problem has been there for a long time, at least since OS version 3.0,
but was never resolved. Apparently, it's still there in CentOS5.

(and it's not a CentOS problem, the references I found a couple of years
ago referred to the upstream's version).

The 2TByte limitation is documented for Adaptecs: it does not do the 64-bit
addressing on the SCSI bus, so there moving to LSI is indeed the only option.

	DavidG.

--
David Groep

** National Institute for Nuclear and High Energy Physics, PDP/Grid group **
** Room: H1.56 Phone: +31 20 5922179, PObox 41882, NL-1009DB Amsterdam NL **