[CentOS] Will this work? centOS5 server+100users?

Ken Sedlacek

kensedlacek at eitsolutions.biz
Wed Aug 8 14:20:35 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:57:57 AM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Will this work? server+centOS5+100users?

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Ken Sedlacek wrote:
>> I am an experienced MS administrator of W2003 servers & Exchange systems.
>>
>> I have 5+ years UNIX mid-level experience but not in centOS. Grounded in SCO UNIX (the real SCO UNIX).
>>
>> We want to use CentOS on a recently grave yarded Dell poweredge 400SC server.
>>
>> This is a P4 3.0 Ghz, w/4GB memory, 2 SATA 250 GB disks.
>>
>> We want to use this server w/CentOS5, to provide file and print resources to 100 users.
>>
>> Each Department wants control over common folders of info for only their group.
>>
>> Each user wants control over their folders.
>>
>> Pretty much standard permissions for departments.
>>
>> Is this do-able with the server and centOS5 and 100 users?
>
> You can certainly do this with CentOS-5.
>
> You will want to install samba and join the server to your Active
> Directory domain ... here is a guide that works:
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/samba_ads_security_mode
>
> (skip the part that has you download new samba RPMS from samba.org ...
> the centOS 5 RPMS work OK for ADS ... you will want to use winbind)
>
> You will most likely want to make sure that you have ACL support for
> CentOS-5 and you will want to edit the /etc/fstab and change your shared
> folder to have ACL support.  Here is an article on ACLs for centos:
>
> http://techxworld.com/community/blogs/features/archive/2007/05/21/acls-on-samba.aspx
>
> To do this, you should ensure that you have created a separate
> partition/mount for the file shares.  I usually do this in /home/samba/
> for public shared items  and /home/<DOMAIN>/ for the users home
> directories ... and I usually have home as a separate mount ... like this:
>
> /dev/sda4 /home ext3 defaults,acl 0 0
>
> You will need to be able to use the getfacl and setfacl commands to
> setup initial permissions.

I forgot to post docs for acl on centos5:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/ch-acls.html

To ALL:

Thanks to all for the advice up to this point!

I need to also mention that this server will be the only server in this domain, so there will NOT be any Microsoft servers here.

The Microsoft solution for the this function is too expensive, so we
want to install centOS5 and configure the centOS5 server as the primary
file and print server.

The user PCs are Microsoft windows.(w2K & WXP).

Are there some comprehensive "how too's" on how the setup the domain,
etc. and what needs to be done with a network of windows clients and
linux server?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ken