[CentOS] Will this work? server+centOS5+100users?

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Wed Aug 8 15:42:31 UTC 2007

Well, it's not the most ideal setup, but if you are determined
to stick with it, here's how I would configure the hard disks:

part raid.1 --size=128 --ondisk=sda
part raid.2 --size=128 --ondisk=sdb
part raid.3 --size=100 --grow --ondisk=sda
part raid.4 --size=100 --grow --ondisk=sdb

raid /boot --fstype ext3 --level=RAID1 --device=md0 raid.1 raid.2
raid pv.1 --fstype "physical volume (LVM)" --level=RAID1 --device=md1 raid.3 raid.4

volgroup CentOS --noformat --pesize=32768 pv.1

logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=root --vgname=CentOS --size=8192
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=swap --vgname=CentOS --size=4096
logvol /var/spool --fstype ext3 --name=spool --vgname=CentOS --size=16384
logvol /home --fstype ext3 --name=home --vgname=CentOS --size=51200
logvol /shared --fstype ext3 --name=shared --vgname=CentOS --size=51200

This will start you off with a 50GB /home for user's home directories and 50GB /shared
for shared files, but since it's using LVM you can extend either as the need occurs
and then extend the underlying file system. It will also allow you to attach a storage
enclosure in the future, add the RAID LD to the CentOS VG, pvmove the data over to it
and then vgsplit the LD off into it's own VG. I would avoid doing snapshots until you
get an external enclosure with a separate LD for handling just snapshots.

You can then create sub folders under /shared for each department.

I would probably start by using LDAP for users and groups and Kerberos for passwords
even if it is a single server. It might take a little bit longer to get going, but it
will ensure that any new server added can immediately join-up and you will not need
to re-map all uid/gid permissions because they weren't setup appropriately to begin
with.

Use UID/GIDs that are significantly higher then the defaults, leave the defaults for
local user accounts and assign the network UIDs and GIDs starting at like 10000-99999
if you decide to migrate to Windows AD you can then map to the RIDs using winbind
starting at 100000-999999.

You will need a backup solution too, don't forget have a backup strategy from the
start!

-Ross