[CentOS] rpmbuild --rebuild

Timothy Selivanow timothys at easystreet.com
Wed Aug 8 15:56:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 18:21 +0300, jarmo wrote:
> Hi
> Again try to learn, how to make package. Now when I try to make from
> .src.rpm I get:
>
> [root at oh1mrr lataa]# rpmbuild --rebuild webmin-1.360-1.src.rpm
> Installing: webmin-1.360-1.src.rpm
> error: Legacy syntax is unsupported: copyright
> error: line 12: Unknown tag: Copyright: Freeware
>
> What's wrong with rpm? or me, eh? :D
>
> Also if I try install webmins noarc.rpm I don't get it work properly...
> Is there package for centos 5 somewhere? Webmin is one of the killer-
> progs, what I've used, so would like to use it further more.
>
> Using here vanilla kernel-2.6.21.1
> rpm-4.4.2-37.el5
>
> Jarmo

If you install the src.rpm, you can change the line that says
"Copyright: Freeware" to "License: Freeware" or better, what the license
actually is.  I also see that you are building as root, that can do some
interesting things and I've heard of it corrupting dependencies for the
running system.  You should take a look at these links for more info:

http://dag.wieers.com/howto/bits/rpm-build-user.php
http://myy.helia.fi/~karte/linux/doc/rpm-build-as-user.html
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/rpmbuild/

--