[CentOS] Can't get ipw2200 to work in CentOS 5 on Dell laptop

andy.allen at virgin.net

Fri Aug 10 14:29:25 UTC 2007

I've installed ipw2200-firmware-3.0-3.nodist.rf from RPMForge using yum OK.
I've loaded the ipw modules with /sbin/modprobe ipw2200 and then
/sbin/lsmod | grep ipw which gives:

ipw2200               136873  0
ieee80211              33417  1 ipw2200

However, when I run system-config-network I don't see Intel Coporation
PRO/Wireless 2200BG (eth1) in the list of adapters.
Also, when I type the following command # dmesg | grep ipw
I get this message:
ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.0kmprq
ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
usbcore: registered new driver ipwtty
drivers/usb/serial/ipw.c: IPWireless tty driver v0.3

I've had loads of help so far from the CentOS list, for which I'm really
grateful, but don't seem to be much nearer to getting wireless networking
on my Dell Inspiron laptop - any more help much appreciated.

Andy