[CentOS] alternatives to realnetworks real producer plus andhelix server

Robert - elists lists07 at abbacomm.net
Fri Aug 10 14:55:50 UTC 2007

> For streaming, I wouldn't waste any time at all on Helix server.
> Apple's Darwin Streaming Server is a much better choice.  It is free and
> offers most of the functionality of Quicktime Streaming Server.  It runs
> just fine on CentOS 4/5.  For encoding, ffmpeg works well.  For cutting
> up video there are a few options.  The one with the best feature set is
> Cinelerra.  If you've got access to a Windows box (or emulation of one),
> Virtualdub is also a good/cheap/functional editor.

Thanks Chris,

Ummmmm, bottom line is we are trying to stream the audio/video of live
teaching sessions

Nothing fancy really...

Only real prob I am having is short breaks or frame drops in audio here and
there and trying to determine if it is in the sound system or what...

Bottom line is the majority of people on the receiving side are on windows
boxes (not my choice) with their media player or other media player options.

Still think this is correct direction?

:-)

Thanks again!

 - rh