[CentOS] decTOP - Centos install fails but DSL frugal install worked

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Aug 13 21:56:01 UTC 2007

I got 4 of those decTOPs
(http://www.dataevolution.com/dectop%20info%202.htm) and upgraded the
memory to 512Mb.

I cannot get Centos 5.0 to install.

I have the keyboard mouse attached to an ATEN USB-PS/2 adapter (probably
should try without this).
I have a USB DVD/CDRW drive.

The install CD boots just fine.  But then the install says, "No CD" and
takes me to Askmethods.

So I use FTP, as I typically do anyway.  They have a generic USB
ethernet dongle, but the last device listed on the ethernet devices
seems to work just fine.  I get all the way through configuring and when
it gets to Resolving Dependencies, it crashes.  Something about not
finding the kernel?  And how do I remotely write the debug information?
FTP does not seem to be the protocol used.

So I partitioned a drive on another system.  In partition 4 I copied the
6 ISO CD images.  I boot from CD, and then switch to Local Harddrive
from /dev/hda4 and /.  .  Then install follows the same behaviour as the
FTP install, so at least I know it is not the USB ethernet.  And there
is no option to write the dump to /dev/hda4

Openfiler 2.0 hangs at "Resolving Dependenies".  Just sits there.  Oh,
Openfiler 'figured out' to load up a USB driver to get to the CD.
I haven't found my FreeNAS CD to see what it does.

But the latest D*#nSmallLinux (DSL) had no trouble booting and running
of CD.  Now I have successfully done the Frugal install to the hard
drive and am booted without the CD at all.

Now I REALLY want to run Centos on a couple of these units.  What should
I look for that is causing Centos to fail to instal?  How do I capture
that debug trace?

Since I DO have DSL up and running, if there is some test to perform,
let me know.  I haved NO experience with DSL or Knoppix.

Next is an ASTLinux install on one of the boxes.  I really want Trixbox
instead.....