[CentOS] hw raid 10 with 4 disc, recomended partitiontable

kai centos at sandsengen.com
Tue Aug 14 14:24:43 UTC 2007

Additional question: When the installer is setting the swap it sets it
to be 1984MB, the memory is 4096 in to banks? How come? Has this
something to do with the raid 1+0

Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 8/13/07, kai <centos at sandsengen.com> wrote:
>
>> What would be a good recommended partition table for a server running
>> scripts handling big amount of transactions?
>>

> Depends on what type of server. Webserver, mail server, sql server
> etc. What's the primary fuction?

It's calculating the numbers in an sql base, but not running the sql server
>> Normally i would do something like this, but i need to ask the question
>> since I haven't installed on a production machine before
>> /boot
>> /opt
>> /usr
>> /var
>> /tmp
>> /home
>>

> You don't need to split /opt and /usr out usually unless you plan to
> customize/use them heavily.
>
> /tmp is good to split out for noexec mounts. I do this as another
> layer to security for my webservers. It'll by no means stop attacks,
> but every little bit helps, and I like to make my servers as
> uninviting to maladjusted folks as I can.
>

>> An other thing, I haven't installed rhel before, only centos and notice
>> a difference in that yum is not a part of rhel, and later figuring out
>> that no updates are possible since I installed without the graphics's.
>> Are there other significant differences between CentOS and RHEL?
>>

> CentOS comes with yum, because it's better than up2date, and the
> backend to up2date is not GPL'd. In RHEL5 redhat has done away with
> up2date themselves, and use yum as the prefered mechanism.
>
> As to the second part of your statement, I'm a little confused as to
> why you think this. Other than some different artwork and the
> inclusion of yum in centos < 5, it's nearly identical to RHEL (this is
> one of the specific goals of the distro), and updates are very much
> possible without a gui.  What sort of trouble are you having with
> updates?

I am not familiar with the up2date,. I have only been using yum on
centos. Browsing trough the documentation I am a little confused.. I
don't want to do the job twice or faulty by not installing what I need..
Will I be able to register with the up2date --register command?