[CentOS] Forcing ifcfg-eth0 to use the same nic in multi nic machine

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Wed Aug 15 13:18:11 UTC 2007

Sorry - I missed the original post - but I can think of one scenario where
two NICs have the same MAC address. However, it's extremely unusua.l.

The IEEE has managed the allocation of addresses for Ethernet, but IBM has
done the same for Token Ring. The two didn't talk, and so their allocated
address ranges overlap. Consequently there are a number of pairs of Token
Ring and Ethernet cards out there that have the same MAC address. Token
Ring/Ethernet bridges have to do some bit-fiddling to map TR MAC's to
Ethernet because of it.

That's probably not what the OP was enquiring about - unless he's extremely
unfortunate and still has to deal with TR.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Tel: +61 2 9451 1144