[CentOS] Re: add new module in initrd

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Aug 16 16:08:05 UTC 2007

beast spake the following on 8/13/2007 2:39 AM:
> On 13/08/07 11:20 +0700, beast wrote:
>>> The initrd file is just a gzipped ext2 filesystem image, so you need to
>>> uncompress it into a temporary file and then mount that file using
>>> loopback:
>>>
>>> zcat /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img >/tmp/fs
>>> mkdir /mnt/initrd
>>> mount -r -t ext2 -o loop /tmp/fs /mnt/initrd
>>>
>>> Then you can look under /mnt/initrd to see the contents of the
>>> initial ramdisk.
>>
>> Its not an image anymore :
>> fs: ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC)
>>
>> However it can be extarct using cpio:
>> gunzip < /boot/initrd-version.img |cpio -i --make-directories
>
> Aparently its not as simply copy .ko file into modules.cgz. I have
> copied the
> ethernet driver, however it did not get loaded when loadning from pxeboot.
> Any other steps required?
>

> --beast
I think you have to also modify modules.dep and maybe modules.info. Look at
them and you will see what needs to be done to them. AFAIR modules.dep is the
most important. I think the boot images are more like the addon driver disks are.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and