[CentOS] Kernel

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 15:52:38 UTC 2007

On 8/19/07, centos <centos at unixplanet.biz> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is kernel depends on Centos version, I mean I have installed Centos 4.3
> and its kernel
> version is 2.6.9, but I want to upgrade the kernel to the latest
> available in kernel.org.

You can compile and run the latest kernel in CentOS 4 IF you have good
knowledge on kernel building and are aware of potential issues
associated with:

(1) changing from the CentOS/RedHat kernel to vanilla kernel
(2) going from 2.6.9 to 2.6.22 (or later) kernel

> also , is there any way to specify which kernel should be booted when we
> are restarting
> computer , rather than put the information in grub.

Remove 'hiddenmenu' from grub.conf. You will see the menu.  Either
that or hit a key when you see the grub screen to get the menu.