[CentOS] Kernel

centos centos at unixplanet.biz
Mon Aug 20 11:10:42 UTC 2007

Centos 4 kernel's base version is 2.6.9 and Centos 5 kernel's base
version is 2.6.18.
and I couldn't find anything in Centos mirror sites and repository ( I
really need kernel version 2.6.18. )

Downloaded and installed kernel 2.16.18 for version 5, and installed it
on Centos 4, it is ok but while
I am installing another software I am getting pointer exception fault.

couldn't compile 2.6.18 SROM on Centos  4,  I am getting "unifdef is
needed" when I am running

rpmbuild -bb kernel-2.6.18

now I guess I have only two choices:
1- upgrading Centos 4 to Centos 5, which I need your opinion for the best
way of accomplishing it, considering my server is in remote location and
I don't have access to console. ( is kick start works for remote installation
with not access to console ? )

2- Downloading kernel from kernel.org, which I want to know if the same
version in kernel.org is identical to same version in Centos repository.
I want to make sure  I will have the same thing, to prevent weird problem
in future.

Thanks