[CentOS] Problems reading a backup data DVD

Mark Hull-Richter mhullrich at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 17:24:47 UTC 2007

On 8/19/07, Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I would suspect IDE cable, DVD drive,  P/S, motherboard (assuming an
> on-board IDE channel) in that order. Don't overlook the drive's power
> connector, either.

I'll check out the cable when I get a chance, but most of the rest of
the hardware is relatively new (p/2, mobo, hdd, hdc, cable, in order
from newest to oldest).  See also below.

> Do you have another machine you can try that boot DVD in?

Actually, the boot DVD reads & boots just fine (wrote it on the hdc
drive), it just doesn't automount.

> Can you read a CD in the failing drive?

Yes, also DVDs, data or movie, no problems.

> Have you been monkeying around with the kernel?

No.  I have NTFS r/w support built in, but no other mods.

> Is the "DVD drive" really a DVD drive or is it only for CDs?

hdc is an Emprex 16x DVD+/-R D/L DVD/CD burner;  hdd is a Hammer
(Matsushita) 16x DVD+/-R D/L DVD burner.  Both work fine for almost
every other CD or DVD I have burned in either drive, it's just this
one data DVD that seems to have gone bad since June 9 when I burned
it.

FYI, the DVD is question is a TDK 16x +R DVD.  I may have burned it at
16x, although I've noticed that for movies and best compatibility, 12x
works better in the Emprex and 8x in the Hammer.

Thanks.

mhr