[CentOS] Diskless client from system-config-netboot doesn't boot.

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Tue Aug 21 18:42:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 10:14:51AM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Sophana wrote:
>
> >David Mackintosh a écrit :
>
> >>I've followed a set of instructions I found on
> >>http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/centos_linux_guides/centos_enterprise_linux_sysadmin_guide/ch-diskless.htmli
> >>which describes using system-config-netboot to set up PXE booting.
>
> >I just can say that I had the same problem with centos 4.5.
> >Seems that centos is a little buggy on this.
>
> and which bug is that again in the centos bug tracker?

I personally didn't enter a bug, as my research on the subject showed
a lot of discussion in the Fedora distro as to what this tool was
really supposed to be doing.  It isn't included in the upstream v5
release, but is due to get re-included at a later time once things
are sorted out.

I think this is rather like the Xen offering -- the bare bones of a
good/useful idea that needs more work before it's ready for general
use.  I'm sure it will be usable in the future, just not today.

I have access to, but have not tried, the upstream product.  If I get
a chance I will and if it functions differently than the CentOS
offering I will enter a bug; any other problems are more likely
upstream problems.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |