[CentOS] RAID storage - SATA, SCSI, or Fibre Channel?

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Tue Aug 21 19:11:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 04:23:49PM -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 and am looking to add more storage.   I know a
> lot of factors can go into the type of answer given, but for present and
> future technology planning, should I look for a rack of SATA, SCSI, or
> fibre channel drives?    Maybe I'm dating myself with fibre channel, and
> possibly SCSI?
>
> I may be looking to add a few TB now, and possibly more later.

If you can afford the bucks, get yourself a storage appliance like
the Network Appliance filer.  They can do nfs much better than a
generic Linux system.  NetApps will give you the ability to do nfs
and iSCSI-over-ethernet out of the box, and can do CIFS (ie windows
SMB sharing) for an additional cost.  Depending on the unit you pick
they scale much more easilly and much further than a linux system
can, and come with practically set-and-forget reliability and
support.

We've done NetApps for years, from the 700 series, 900 series, and
are deploying a baby 270 with 3TB (a single shelf!) that has the
potential to grow to 14TB.

That said, you _pay_ for all that ability.  If cost is a factor
(and it rarely isn't) then this is probably more than you will
want to spend.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |