[CentOS] SATA vs. SAS

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Wed Aug 22 14:11:33 UTC 2007

Feizhou wrote:
> > > Option 1) 2 servers each having 2.0TB raid disk with SAS
> > > drives, 2GB ram and standard other features.
> >
> > If going down this road, why not look into getting one of
> > those fancy new storage enclosures where the RAID is built
> > into the enclosure and can allow 2 servers to simultaneously
> > access the arrays with full battery backed write-back cache?
> >

> What is available for Linux in this department?

http://www.coraid.com/

These are relatively inexpensive network storage boxes using SATA drives
and AoE (ATA over Ethernet) connection to the server.  Drivers build
easily on CentOS.

Just make sure you get drives that are on their compatible list.  This
may not be as much of an issue now, but I had some problems with drives
being marked bad and dropped out of the array when I first set up mine a
couple of years ago.  This was caused by firmware incompatibilities and
fixed by upgrading the drive firmware.  Once this was fixed, everything
has worked flawlessly since.

--
Bowie