[CentOS] BIND issues, server not responding

Ray Leventhal centos at swhi.net
Wed Aug 22 19:59:30 UTC 2007

replies-lists-a1z2-centos at listmail.innovate.net wrote:
> first, if you turn query logging on you'll likely get some more hints.
>
> do you have a:
>
>        allow-query {
>          localhost;
>          <ipnumber>;
>         };
>
> directive in the top options section? i think the server defaults to
> "all" if you don't have one, but i'm not positive about that. if you do
> have one, and only have "localhost" in, that's likely your problem.
>
>   - Rick

Thanks for your replies.

@Rick,
My understanding was that the default was 'any' for 'allow-query' and so
the only thing (other than the zone requests) in options in my
named.conf is

options {
   directory "/var/named/slaves";
   listen-on { localhost; 127.0.0.1; 64.135.16.15; };
 };

I'll try adding an allow-query statement, using 'all' and see if that
resolves the issue (no pun intended <g>)

> Are you using views? If you only have a 'localhost' view (kind how
> namecacheserver is set up), then no one else can query.
>
> Do you have match-clients and match-destinations set up? I think the
> default for these are 'any', but if you have them and they are wrong?

@Robert,
No I am not using any explicitly configured 'views', nor do I have
match-clients or match-destinations set up as I also believe that these
are 'any' by default.

Kind regards,
~Ray