[CentOS] quick FTP server with default vsftpd installation

Ray Leventhal centos at swhi.net
Wed Aug 22 23:42:52 UTC 2007

Simon Jolle wrote:
> 2007/8/22, Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net>:
>
>> Does the ftp daemon respond properly if you issue:
>>
>> /usr/sbin/setenforce 0
>>

> Hi Ray
>
> Yes by disabling SElinux everything works as expected. I think I need
> some introductions docs about selinux ;-)

Hi Simon.

There's usually a statement in the logs that will give you the exact
command to instruct SELinux to allow certain things.
if you do this:

cat /var/log/messages | grep sealert

you'll see what I mean.  The message will provide a statement like:

sealert -l <some long hash>

do that, and the resulting message will have the setsebool statement to
allow the daemon to run as you expect.

I'm also certain there are ways to get vsftpd to run without sacrificing
the protections of SELinux, but I'll defer to those more expert, as I'm
definitely not....(but I am learning)

Good luck,
~Ray