[CentOS] Help with backups

Denis denis.becker at mnsu.edu
Thu Aug 23 14:22:20 UTC 2007

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I've got a Redhat 5 server running Samba, and two dualboot CentOS 5
> workstations.
>
> Until we get a better backup strategy, I'm backing up the workstations to the
> server via mounting a shared samba drive to /mnt.

I don't know if I have interpreted exactly what you are trying to do but
I have used the program rdiff-backup to backup samba directories for a
30 pc computer lab. This software allow incremental backup which was
what I liked about it. I also was able to use the remote features of the
software (with ssh) to backup from my samba server to another server. It
worked just fine.

I am doing less of that because I also backup a number of staff windows
machines that are connected to our campus MS domain. I have used a
product for many years (it started on mac then win) - Dantz/EMC
Retrospect.  This has the ability to backup linux computers. One of my
reasons for going this direction is my servers have expensive scsi
drives vs cheap sata drives on the Retro box. It does incremental
backups and is easy to setup backups through the Retro GIU.

Good luck.

Denis Becker
Information Technology - Engineering
MN State Univ., Mankato