[CentOS] UTC vs local time

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Aug 23 19:05:27 UTC 2007

--On Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:53 PM +0200 Mogens Kjaer <mk at crc.dk>
wrote:

>> When to use UTC?
>
> Always :-)

Hehe, I'd love to eliminate local time and I particularly hate daylight
saving time. I hate all the clock-changing and getting up an hour earlier.
If businesses and schools need to change when they open, then they should
change their schedules, and not fiddle around with what's supposed to be a
standard measurement. Imagine if we had to change the length of our rulers
twice a year! Imagine if 10 degrees meant something different in summer
than in winter!

I work and play with people from across North America and around the world
and it can be troublesome to coordinate schedules when "5 pm" means
something different to everybody. At least the advent of the railroads
introduced the idea of standard time, even if it was still only good
locally, not globally.

/rant