[CentOS] LDAP + SAMBA + NIS + PHP help

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Aug 25 14:46:05 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 05:49 -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> Continuing my single sign-on efforts, I'm adjusting things a bit -
> incorporating NIS+Samba+LDAP on the server.
>
> I found an Ubuntu-based document that gives step-by-step instructions for
> my things, and seemed to work as I was adapting some of the items to
> RH/CentOS.  Its url is:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LDAP-Samba_PDC_(for_Linux_and_Windows)
>
> There are other similar documents for other Unix variants, including
> FreeBSD.  Just search on http://localhost/phpldapadmin
>
> One of the key items it mentions is http://phpldapadmin for complete
> web-based, graphical management of ldap.   This, obviously sounds great,
> but I couldn't find a similar document for CentOS/RHEL 5.  Fedora 1 is the
> closest.
>
> It would be geat if someone could find one for a modern CentOS/RH
> distribution.
----
these kind of treatments encompass a single point of view which don't
generally apply across the board since LDAP is sort of an designer
toolkit.

phpldapadmin is a useful tool - I personally rely upon webmin
<http://www.webmin.com> and their 'LDAP Users and Groups' module for
creating/maintaining user and group accounts.

The issue is that you have to learn how to use LDAP because integration
into things like smtp delivery, imap, etc. will vary depending upon
which you use. There really is no walk through or pre-set configuration
for LDAP and that is what seems to lose most people.

I heavily recommend learning to use LDAP because once you get it,
integration into other things like samba or nis/nfs mounts becomes
rather easy but until you learn it, integration will be a bitch. The
book that I used that made it all understandable for me was Gerry Carter
(of Samba fame) book titled "LDAP System Administration" which is
probably a bit dated but will always be appropriate for an LDAP
beginner.

While this isn't entirely responsive to your needs, you might find this
useful...

http://www.brennan.id.au/

Craig