[CentOS] centos] Xen VM vanishes after creation

Timothy Selivanow timothys at easystreet.com
Mon Aug 27 21:55:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 22:18 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> R P Herrold wrote on Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:25:41 -0400 (EDT):
>
> > holds this answer -- if the path variable is not set, it seems
> > to look at the CWD, from some of the error cruft I can provoke
>
> The problem is not the configuration file, the problem is the vm
> filesystem  file. That is not mentioned anywhere. How do you shutdown or
> start your VMs?
> I made another test and created a second VM and then *saved* that VM. That
> saved it in the state it was in and I was able to restore it from that
> save file. However, when I then shutdown the same VM the save file has
> completely vanished and only the filesystem file is there as before.
> There's no way to "revive" it then.
> This can't be it, I must be missing something, although I've read almost
> all of the Virtualization Guide by now.
> Or is it really intended that the only way to keep a VM is to save it in
> the middle of operation and restore it?
>
> Kai

As another poster already said...`man xm`.  Here's a hint: `/usr/sbin/xm
create ${config_file}`.  When you shutdown a guest it does leave the
list of running domains (i.e. what `xm list` shows you).  The default
location for VM configurations is '/etc/xen/'.  If you want them to
start at boot, sym-link the conf to '/etc/xen/auto/'.

--
Timothy Selivanow <timothys at easystreet.com>
Linux System Administrator